October 3 - 6, 2019 at the Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort / Hilton Niagara Fallsview Hotel
Join the largest wound-related conference in Canada! This October, come network, learn from experts, share ideas and catch-up on the latest research.
This four-day continuing education event is designed for a variety of professionals and other interested individuals whose work or personal lives connect in any way to those with wounds or who are at risk for developing wounds. This includes frontline health-care professionals, policymakers, researchers, educators and, of course, patients and their families.
Early bird registration now open. Register before June 15th, 2019 to save up to $95!
Early bird registration - $450 + HST
Wounds Canada Member early bird registration - $415 + HST
Single day registration - $275 + HST
Add on a Hand-on Workshop at the 2019 Fall Conference. Space is limited!
Hands-on workshops* are small group settings where attendees will have a chance to interact closely with faculty and materials related to one of the following topics:
- Supporting Self Management: $25
- Wound Care Research 101: $25
- Biopsy, Suturing and Bedside Sharp Debridement: $89
- Ostomy Care 101: $89
*Participants must be registered for the conference.
These workshops will be held on Thursday October 3rd from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Hilton Niagara Falls / Fallsview Hotel and Suites. Attendees may pick one workshop. There is a fee for attendance, please click on the workshops above to learn more and to register.
About the Conference
The goals of the Wounds Canada conference are:
- To bring together national and international experts in the field of wound prevention and management
- To assist practitioners to incorporate the most recent scientific evidence, technology and tools into practice
- To review and discuss the extent and quality of evidence surrounding the prevention and management of different types of wounds
- To discuss practical, patient-centred, cost-effective approaches to wound care
- To discuss the policy implications of clinical decisions and vice-versa
- To provide an avenue for networking between stakeholders
Highlights of the Conference
- Four days of jam-packed learning and networking opportunities in multi-disciplinary setting
- Oral and poster presentations outlining the latest research, technology and tools
- Formal and informal networking opportunities from morning to night.
The conference is suitable for:
- Certified Orthotists and Certified Prosthetists
- Enterostomal Therapy Nurses
- Family Physicians
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Practical Nurses
- Social Workers
- Surgeons . . . and more!
Information coming soon!
Abstract opening date: May 13, 2019
Abstracts submission deadline: July 15, 2019
Notification of acceptance/rejection: August 7, 2019 (offers are valid for a two-week period)
Abstract topics for oral presentation or electronic poster presentation may refer to any topic related to the promotion of skin health, and/or the prevention, assessment and management of various types of wounds. We invite authors to share information about activities/projects related to skin and wound care in a broad range of areas including research, education, health policy and clinical practice.
Registration for Oral Presentations and Electronic Poster Displays
At least one author who is presenting the abstract(s) selected for either an oral presentation or electronic poster display must register for the full conference at the latest 10 business days after acceptance of their abstract.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
1. Abstracts are required for all oral presentations and electronic poster displays.
2. Abstracts must be submitted by midnight of July 15, 2019 (EDT).
3. Maximum word count is 300 (not including references and authors names and affiliations).
4. A maximum of four abstracts may be submitted per author.
5. Abstracts may be submitted in English or French.
6. Electronic poster displays (of abstracts accepted for electronic poster display) will be published on the conference mobile app and on the Wounds Canada website for an indefinite period. By submitting an abstract you consent to giving Wounds Canada permission to publish your provided electronic poster display as noted above.
When submitting your abstract, please indicate if you would like your submission to be considered for one or more of the following awards. Award recipients will be announced during the ‘Welcome Back and Poster Prizes’ session on Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 8:00 am.
ORAL PRESENTATION: Authors indicating they wish to be considered for oral presentation will be notified by email if they have been selected (by Abstract Review Committee members) to deliver a 10-minute oral presentation during one of the oral poster sessions. If you accept to give an oral presentation of your research abstract, you should plan to attend the entire 1.5-hour oral poster session to which you are assigned. This is so that all abstract presenters in that session can participate in a panel discussion and answer questions in the latter part of the session.
BEST ABSTRACT: The top two abstract submissions considered for oral presentations will be asked to repeat their oral presentation in the ‘Welcome Back and Poster Prizes’ session on Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 8:00 am.
JUDGES’ CHOICE AWARD: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference will be eligible for the Judges’ Choice Award, which is chosen by a panel of judges and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference will be eligible for the People’s Choice Award, which is chosen using written ballots from delegates attending the conference and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
NEW INVESTIGATOR AWARD: If you are enrolled as a student in a recognized wound education program and wish to be consider for the New Investigator Award, please provide the additional information required pdf (see instructions provided) (191 KB) .
BEST LOCAL ENTRY: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference and with at least one author who resides in the Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network or Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network will be eligible for the Best Local Entry Award, which is chosen by a panel of judges and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
1. The online submission process has a word limit set to a maximum of 300 words per abstract. This does not include references and author’s names and affiliations.
2. Please use the following subtitles in your abstract:
a. Title: Create a title that concisely and accurately portrays the content of the abstract.
b. Aim: Clearly state the purpose of your work.
c. Procedure/Method: Describe the procedures/activities or methodology used to conduct your work. Please provide specific information about subject characteristics or health-care setting where relevant.
d. Findings/Results: Summarize key findings or important results that you wish to share with colleagues in a clear and concise manner. Where results warrant, provide reasonable conclusions that related back to the study purpose/objectives.
e. Implications/Applications: Clearly state how the outcomes and potential applications are pertinent to this audience.
Submitting an Abstract
Please click here and register with the abstract system. You will be given instructions on how to submit and may log in to the system at any time to view or edit your abstract(s) up until the close date.
Abstract Review Procedure
1. The Abstract Review Committee will do a blind review process of submitted abstracts. A least two reviewers will grade and comment on each abstract. Ties and discrepancies will be resolved by the committee Chair.
2. Please refer to the attached pdf Abstract Evaluation Form (297 KB) for abstract scoring details.
3. Abstracts will not be accepted if:
a. They include brand, trade, or commercial names
b. No key findings or study results are identified in the submission
4. Notification of acceptance or rejection of the abstract will be sent to all authors by August 7, 2019.
Book your hotel
Hilton Niagara Falls/Fallsview Hotel & Suites
6361 Fallsview Boulevard
Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3V9
Hotel Phone (905) 354-7887
Wounds Canada Group Reservations Page or Toll free reservations: 1-866-873-9829
Group Code: WOUND
Special rates start at $193.00/room plus applicable tax. Reservation cut-off date is September 17, 2019 or until the room block sells out (whichever comes first).