Wounds Canada’s Spring Conference is a two-day continuing education event designed to support health-care professionals who work with patients with wounds or who are at risk for developing wounds.
This year’s conference is being held at Halifax Convention Centre, 1650 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS B3J 0E6 from April 12 - 13, 2019. Pencil us in and join us!
Can't make it to Halifax? Our 2019 Fall Conference will be held in Niagara Falls, ON, October 3-6, 2019. Registration will open in April 2019.
Wounds Canada Spring Conference Halifax
This conference will feature two days of learning and networking with peers, local, national and international experts – an experience you cannot get anywhere else. Don’t miss it!
Early Bird pricing available until January 18th! Don't miss out!
Early Bird Wounds Canada Member price: $350 + HST / Early Bird Non-member price: $375 + HST
Single day registration is also available for $250/day
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of
the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the Continuing
Professional Development Office of Dalhousie University for up to 12.75 Mainpro+
credits (for Friday and Saturday only)
As an accredited provider, Dalhousie University, CPD, designates this continuing
professional development activity for up to 12.75 credit hours as an accredited group
learning Section 1 activity as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of
the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (for Friday and Saturday
In keeping with CMA Guidelines, program content and selection of speakers are the
responsibility of the planning committee. Support is directed toward the costs of the
course and not to individual speakers through an unrestricted educational grant.
Educationally co-sponsored by Dalhousie University Continuing Professional Development.
About the event
The goals of the Wounds Canada conference are:
- To bring together national and international experts in the field of wound prevention and management
- To assist practitioners to incorporate the most recent scientific evidence, technology and tools into practice
- To review and discuss the extent and quality of evidence surrounding the prevention and management of different types of wounds
- To discuss practical, patient-centred, cost-effective approaches to wound care
- To discuss the policy implications of clinical decisions and vice-versa
- To provide an avenue for communication between practitioners and industry
Highlights of the Conference
- Two days of jam-packed learning and networking opportunities in multi-disciplinary setting
- Poster presentations outlining the latest research, technology and tools
- Formal and informal networking opportunities from morning to night.
The conference is suitable for:
- Certified Orthotists and Certified Prosthetists
- Enterostomal Therapy Nurses
- Family Physicians
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Practical Nurses
- Social Workers
- . . . and more!
Submit an Abstract
Abstract opening date: December 10, 2018
Abstracts submission deadline: January 27, 2019
Notification of acceptance/rejection: February 18, 2019 (offers are valid for a two-week period)
Abstract topics for oral presentation or electronic poster presentation may refer to any topic related to the promotion of skin health, and/or the prevention, assessment and management of various types of wounds. We invite authors to share information about activities/projects related to skin and wound care in a broad range of areas including research, education, health policy and clinical practice.
Registration for Oral Presentations and Electronic Poster Displays
At least one author who is presenting the abstract(s) selected for either an oral presentation or electronic poster display must register for the full conference at the latest 10 business days after acceptance of their abstract.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
1. Abstracts are required for all oral presentations and electronic poster displays.
2. Abstracts must be submitted by midnight of January 27, 2019 (EST).
3. Maximum word count is 300 (not including references and authors names and affiliations).
4. A maximum of four abstracts may be submitted per author.
5. Abstracts may be submitted in English or French.
6. Electronic poster displays (of abstracts accepted for electronic poster display) will be published on the conference mobile app and on the Wounds Canada website for an indefinite period. By submitting an abstract you consent to giving Wounds Canada permission to publish your provided electronic poster display as noted above.
When submitting your abstract, please indicate if you would like your submission to be considered for one or more of the following awards. Award recipients will be announced during the ‘Best Posters’ session on Satuday, April 13, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
ORAL PRESENTATION: Authors indicating they wish to be considered for oral presentation will be notified by email if they have been selected (by Abstract Review Committee members) to deliver a 10-minute oral presentation during the oral poster session on Friday April 12, 2019 at 1:45 p.m. If you accept to give an oral presentation of your research abstract, you should plan to attend the entire 1.5-hour oral poster session to which you are assigned. This is so that all abstract presenters in that session can participate in a panel discussion and answer questions in the latter part of the session.
JUDGES’ CHOICE AWARD: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference will be eligible for the Judges’ Choice Award, which is chosen by a panel of judges and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference will be eligible for the People’s Choice Award, which is chosen using written ballots from delegates attending the conference and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
NEW INVESTIGATOR AWARD: If you are enrolled as a student in a recognized wound education program and wish to be considered for the New Investigator Award, please provide the additional information required (see instructions provided here). All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference and who meet the New Investigator criteria will be eligible for the New Investigator Award, which is chosen by a panel of judges and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
BEST LOCAL ENTRY: All abstracts accepted for inclusion at the conference and with at least one author who resides in Nova Scotia will be eligible for the Best Local Entry Award, which is chosen by a panel of judges and is based on the electronic poster displayed during the conference.
- The online submission process has a word limit set to a maximum of 300 words per abstract. This does not include references and author’s names and affiliations.
- Please use the following subtitles in your abstract:
- Title: Create a title that concisely and accurately portrays the content of the abstract.
- Aim: Clearly state the purpose of the work.
- Procedure/Method: Describe the procedures/activities or methodology used to conduct your work. Please provide specific Information about subject characteristics or health-care setting where relevant.
- Findings/Results: Summarize key findings or important results that you wish to share with colleagues in a clear and concise manner. Where results warrant, provide reasonable conclusions that relate back to the study purpose/objectives.
- Implications/Applications: Clearly state how the outcomes and potential applications are pertinent to this audience.
Submitting an Abstract
Please click here and register with the abstract system. You will be given instructions on how to submit and may log in to the system at any time to view or edit your abstract(s) up until the close date.
Abstract Review Procedure
- The Abstract Review Committee will do a blind review process of submitted abstracts. A least two reviewers will grade and comment on each abstract. Ties and discrepancies will be resolved by the committee Chair.
- Please refer to the attached Abstract Evaluation Form for abstract scoring details.
- Abstracts will not be accepted if:
a. They include brand, trade, or commercial names
b. No key findings or study results are identified in the submission
- Notification of acceptance or rejection of the abstract will be sent to all authors by February 18, 2019.